Friday, January 23, 2009

Interview with Bryan Singer

Very interesting interview with Bryan Singer, Director of Valkyrie.

We also learn (at least I did) that Bryan Singer is a Jew himself - so much for Friedman ranting about Valkyrie being a Nazi apologia.

Valkyrie director Bryan Singer praises Tom Cruise | Herald Sun:

‘‘There were things I actually left out because I knew people would think we were making them up,'' he says.

‘‘For example, when von Stauffenberg was injured, he refused any morphine and he did that very specifically because he didn't want to be addicted -- he needed to be focused, he needed to re-learn how to write. He needed to get back to work.

‘‘But imagine Tom Cruise saying ‘No morphine!' People would think it's a contrivance.'' [...]

Singer didn't pay the bad press and negative rumours too much attention.


‘‘You have to realise that I went through a period of extraordinary scepticism when I made the first X-Men movie. There hadn't been a comic-book film in a long time. I was not a comic-book fan . . .

‘‘So this was not unusual territory for me. Here was just a much more magnified version, because everything associated with Tom Cruise tends to get magnified.'' [...]

‘‘Then they see him in a movie and they say ‘Oh yeah, I forgot, I like Tom Cruise'.

Singer also reckons the actor was a surprisingly good fit for the role.

‘‘Von Stauffenberg was very much a bright light among his fellow officers. There was a kind of energised, unique quality about him that Tom has as a person and an actor. And the physical resemblance is extraordinary.''

No comments: